The NCYBA adheres to the Code of Conduct of both the New Castle Recreation and Parks Commission and the Tri-County Basketball League (TCBL). We expect all our participants, from players to parents, to follow the principals outlined below.
New Castle Code of Athletic Conduct
The New Castle Recreation and Parks Commission believes the essential elements of character building and ethics in sports are embodied in the concept of sportsmanship and six core principles: trustworthiness, respect, responsibility, fairness, caring and good citizenship. The highest potential of sports is achieved when competition reflects these “six pillars of character.”
In order to promote these principles of sportsmanship, the Commission requests that the parents, guardians, family members and guests of each participant in its athletic programs agree to the following code of conduct:
1. I will agree to remember that children participate in sports to have fun and that the game is for their benefit.
2. I will agree to be a positive role model by encouraging sportsmanship and by showing respect and courtesy for all players, coaches, officials and spectators at every game or practice.
3. I will agree to discourage any behavior or practice from players, coaches, officials and spectators that could endanger the physical or emotional health and well-being of any child.
4. I will agree to demand that my child treat other players, coaches, officials and spectators with respect.
5. I will agree to impress the importance of skill development and teach my child that doing one’s best is more important than winning.
6. I will agree to praise my child for competing fairly and trying hard, regardless of the outcome of the game.
7. I will agree to not ridicule nor scold my child or any other child for making a mistake or losing a competition.
8. I will agree to respect the authority of officials and coaches during the game and will never question, discuss or confront them at the game field. In the event of a dispute with the coach or official, I will discuss it with them after the game and not in front of the children.
9. I will agree to not engage in any kind of unsportsmanlike conduct with any official, coach, player, or parent, such as booing and taunting; refusing to shake hands; or using profane language or gestures.
10. I will agree to support an alcohol and drug free environment for all athletic activities.
TCBL Code of Conduct
1. Respect the game, play fairly and follow its rules and regulations.
2. Show respect for authority to the officials of the game and of the league.
3. Demonstrate good sportsmanship before, during and after games.
4. Be courteous to opposing teams and treat all players and coaches with respect.
5. Be modest when successful and gracious in defeat.
6. Respect the privilege of the use of facilities used not only in our Chappaqua Gyms, but visiting gyms as well.
7. Refrain from the use of drugs, tobacco, alcohol and abusive language.
1. Encourage good sportsmanship by demonstrating positive support for all players, coaches, fans and officials at games, practices and other sporting events.
2. Advocate a sports environment for all children that is free of drugs, tobacco, alcohol and abusive language, and refrain from their use during youth sporting events.
3. Encourage all children to play by the rules and respect the rights of other players, coaches, fans and officials.
4. Support all the student athletes in an environment of mutual respect and civility.
1. Recognize that coaches are role models for their team members and all participants involved in the activity, and that basketball helps to develop a sense of teamwork, self-worth and sportsmanship.
2. Place the emotional and physical well being of players ahead of a personal desire or external pressure to win.
3. Do your best to provide a safe playing environment for all participants.
4. Lead by example by demonstrating fair play and sportsmanship to all involved.
5. Provide an environment for your team that is free of drugs, tobacco, alcohol and abusive language and refrain from their use at all sporting events.
6. Respect the game and the TCBL league officials and communicate with them in an appropriate manner.
7. Be knowledgeable of the league rules and regulations.